Marko Dimitrijevic is the founder and chairman of Volta Global, a private investment group in venture capital, private equity, real estate, and public markets. Marko Dimitrijevic has more than 35 years investing experience and has founded and managed two investment management companies with over $3 billion in assets. He is the author of Frontier Investor: How to Prosper in the Next Emerging Markets. Marko is a pioneer in conducting on-the-ground due diligence, particularly in frontier markets.
Marko’s Book Recommendation:
Five Good Questions:
- Can you give us a feel for how bad the home country bias is, and why it exists?
- Let’s talk about some execution details. Aside from a passport, how do you research frontier markets? Would an individual’s best bet be country specific ETFs? What are your thoughts about hedging currency risk?
- Which investment style pairs best with frontier market investing? Deep value, GARP, activist something else?
- What’s the story of the evolution of Singapore and how does it illustrate the success of frontier market investing? Where’s the next Singapore?
- Economic progress has typically followed the pattern of farming to manufacturing to service / knowledge economy. Is it possible that the disruption of robots and AI which are already displacing human labor will make it impossible for frontier countries to gain a foothold on the ladder?